Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Twigs

today i feel like a twig.
when you think of a twig i'm sure that what you see is a sad excuse for a branch.
and to be honest thats kind of exactly what i feel like right now. sometimes i think as believers we have the expectation of being a mighty oak, deeply rooted in the Lord and making a a sizable impact on the scenery. But am i a mighty oak? no. i am a twig. a small branch. not even a branch. just a twig.
i feel like my impact on this earth is pretty small while i am in the midst of the red wood forest, where these giants around me are changing the world, and i am just working within my sphere of comfort.
But here's the deal with being a twig. twigs are really important.
      In Genesis after the flood Noah sent out a dove and what did the dove bring back? a twig from an olive tree. That twig showed Noah that there was life beyond his ark, that God was allowing life to grow and the world to once again change. That twig gave hope of a future for him and his family outside of their ship.
     my life as a twig means that even though i might not be the one leading the boat i still have the opportunity everyday to be a symbol of hope for a future. God can use me to show people that there is something outside of their bubble, life and growth and change and new.
    Also, when you go camping what do you look for in the woods to help start your fire? you look for twigs. you can't start a fire what a massive log, you have to have a base before you can have a massive fire.
     as a twig the Lord can use me as base, sure once the fire is going you completely forget the twig that helped start it, but i love Jesus and His kids and i don't want to be what people remember, i want them to see the fire, not the kindling. my purpose is to show the light and love of Jesus and nothing more, He can use me any day to start that fire in someone's life, and never be thought of again, that's how i want it.
     Lastly when a bird is building its nest it doesn't try to break off an entire branch from a tree...thats just silly, a branch would make the worst nest, also the biggest nest. that's just silly. birds use twigs to build their nests. pieces of something bigger, that they can use amongst other twigs to create their home, to create the one thing that brings comfort and safety.
     GOD make me a nest. make me a fire. make me a twig. i want to be the person that people know that they can count on and come to, and whom they know will share with them real, honest truth from Jesus, but thats all i want to be, i don't want anyone to need me, cause i want them to need Him. I don't need to make an individual impacton the scenery. blend me in. i don't want people to see me. i want them to look at the bigger picture and see Jesus. not abbie. exclude me from the equation. let me be a miniscule part of the whole.
so make me twig. and keep me that way.
a twig for Your glory.


-a twig.

3 comments: